WELCOME TO MARWEN -- Nope, Not Seeing It
This film could have the best of intentions, but its flawed premise irks the heck out of me.
I'm not going to spend my hard-earned money on seeing Welcome to Marwen for a couple reasons:
1. The movie's about a guy who turns the real women in his life into dolls. Let me repeat, this film literally turns its entire female cast into plastic Barbies. I don't care how kick ass these dolls are, or how good the actresses are who portray them, or how good the intentions are of the brain-damaged character who creates them -- HELL TO THE NO.
2. Male director, male lead -- who turn the entire female cast into dolls.
3. Really sick of sappy Steve Carrell, no matter how good an actor he is.
4. Did I mention that the fabulous cast of Leslie Mann, Janelle Monae, Eiza Gonzalez, Diane Kruger, Merritt Wever and Gwendolyn Christie are turned into plastic dolls? No? Please see above.
5. It's getting terrible reviews.
6. Wouldn't it have been cool if a WOMAN was the one who created this fictional village and imagined the women in her life as kick-ass superheroes who lived there? Sigh.